The view from here
Get to Know…Michelle Gunn
Remember the best all around...
Superlative in high school? Well, this girl would have been her! She's funny, a hard worker, a great new mom and a master at copywriting. Enjoy getting to know one of our many "do it all" employees here at BKV, Michelle Gunn.
1. Position: Associate Creative Director/Copywriter. (I pretty much just fingerpaint with words all day.)
2. How long have you been at BKV? I’ll give you a hint: Britney Spears hadn’t even eloped to Vegas with that gay guy yet. It was that long ago.
3. We normally ask what BKV has taught people, but with that sweet baby at home, we will make this a little more fun. What has being a “new-ish” mom taught you? Did you know that little babies have to eat, like, every two hours? No, no. Not twice a day. Every TWO HOURS! Even in the middle of the night! I am not making this up. I somehow made it to eleventy bonkzillion years old and actually was allowed to exit the hospital with a squeaky little newborn in my arms and STILL I DID NOT KNOW THIS. Something else I learned: Being a parent requires an alarming degree of emotional vulnerability. Because that’s your very heart there, just crawling around in Garanimals and trying to poke a plastic spoon into the dog’s ear.
4. Your pet peeve when it comes to being grammatically correct: I’m not persnickety. I’ve acquired a lot of bad habits myself, but I usually justify them by saying something lofty like, “Language is alive and ever-changing and runs through our hands like water” or some such horse hockey. It really bugs me, though, when people say, “As far as …” without tacking on the “is concerned” or even just “goes.” (Ex.: “As far as a new garbage disposal, I’d say a pug is a better investment.” No, ma’am. It’s: “As far as a new garbage disposal IS CONCERNED, I’d say a pug is a better investment.” I really would say that, too.)
5. What’s your favorite December activity? Driving around looking at lights? Ice skating? It used to be drunk eBaying. Because everyone knows: After your third glass of pink wine, all your cash morphs into Monopoly money and therefore doesn’t count. And then about five days later, you get surprises in the mail! Nowadays, I prefer listening to lots of Johnny Mathis and being lavished with gifts.
6. What are your plans for the holidays? Will you be traveling anywhere? My parents just bought a home up in the North Georgia mountains, so it will be our inaugural Christmas there. I hope to see authentic hillbillies. Then we’ll dash down to South Georgia to join Jason’s folks on their farm, which is pretty much a southern gothic novel come to life. In a good way.
7. What is one thing you miss about Texas? The art museums and the refried beans and a delicious crassness of character that’s so very Texan.
8. BKV has a herd of TV fanatics. What’s your favorite TV show? Mad Men. Beavis and Butthead. Toddlers and Tiaras. (Leah Forsythe and I crashed a real kiddie pageant at the Airport Hilton back in September. It was just like the TV show, only with a lot more Justin Bieber music.)
9. If you could have one superpower, what would it be? A butt like Beyonce.
10. Current top five playlist:
1. Vince Guaraldi Trio, “Christmastime is Here”
2. Florence + the Machine, “Shake It Off”
3. Dwight Yoakam, “Long White Cadillac”
4. Elbow, “Lippy Kids”
5. Avril Lavigne, “What the Hell” (Shut up, please.)